Crymych RFC | 1st Team 52 - 10 Tenby United RFC | 1st Team
Gavin Thomas
Conversion 1
Try 1
Tomas Lewis
Try 1
Nicholas Frederick James Bevan
Try 1
Carwyn Phillips
Try 1
Sion Colella
Try 1
Jake George Jenkins
Conversion 6
Penalty 1
Osian Davies
Try 1
Llyr Dion Davies
Try 1

Match Report
30 April 2018 / Team News

Crymych beat Tenby United 52-10 to move within two wins of survival in Division One West

Division One West:

Crymych 52-10 Tenby United

They looked dead and buried - but suddenly survival is in sight for Crymych as they turned in a scintillating display to hammer Tenby United at the Parc Lloyd Thomas Ground.

Given the inclement weather that has plagued the season - it was a rare sunny and dry day for this vital Pembrokeshire derby, and the fact Gavin Thomas and Jonny Morgan were both at No 10 for their respective sides suggested there would be no shortage of open rugby.

And sure enough, it was Thomas who provided the first moment of threat from the Preseli Men with a clean break in midfield, leading to a penalty 25 metres out that young centre Jake Jenkins stroked over.

The Seasiders responded through a series of heavy forward carries and a charge from flanker Roy Osborne set up a penalty on half way - but Morgan's ambitious attempt at goal fell just short.

Chris James' men soon led however as centre Pat Roberts combined with Andrew Cooke, and the back row man powered into the 22 and set up the platform from which scrum half Matthew Morgan sniped down the blind to score.

But it proved a false dawn for Tenby, who then spent the remainder of the half on the back foot as Crymych upped the tempo.

They wasted a close range lineout after Thomas had kicked a penalty to the corner, and turned down another three points when his half back partner Gareth Davies went quickly from a tap penalty, only for the ball to go loose near the line.

The pressure continued as flanker Sion Collella forced some scrambled defence with a powerful run and chip ahead, and prop Zac France-Miller seemed certain to score but was held up over the line from a superb tackle from Tenby full back Tannick Parker.

Thomas was also denied over the line but from the scrum five that followed, the inevitable score came as Guto Davies picked up and was hauled down inches short, helping create the overlap from which full back Nick Bevan went over. Jenkins converted from out wide.

And then the latter helped create his side's second try, cutting into the Tenby 22 and giving the scoring pass to second row Llyr Davies, before again adding the extras.

The Seasiders did enjoy one slick counter attack where Jonny Morgan, Cooke and Roberts all linked, setting up another penalty chance which the outside half pulled wide.

But it was Crymych who finished the half on the front foot and it was Thomas, becoming more elusive as the game wore on, whose outside break and off-load set up a try for winger Tomos Lewis. Again, Jenkins was flawless with the difficult conversion to make it 24-5 at half time.

In their two previous games with Llanelli Wanderers and Felinfoel, Randal Williams had seen his side lose their way from half time leads, but this time any hopes of a Tenby fightback were snuffed out moments after the interval.

Again it was Thomas who was the instigator as his long miss-pass found winger Laurence Headlam, and the ball went through three pairs of hands before the No 10 himself took the final pass five metres out and went over for the bonus point try. Jenkins did the rest.

By this point the home pack were dominant at the breakdown, and sure enough, it was No 8 Davies who got the next score as the Seasiders ran out of defenders after a a spell of pressure in their 22.

That made it 38-5 after Jenkins converted, as he then did brilliantly from the touchline after the sixth Crymych try, as his centre partner Carwyn Phillips rounded off more slick handling out wide.

Tenby did finally mount some second half pressure when scrum half Morgan again broke with menace, but the Seasiders were dealt a further blow when the No 9 appeared to badly injure his ankle as he was hauled down by the cover defence, and was forced off.

Craig Barnett was also prominent as the game opened up late on, and he was stopped just short of the line before helping create his side's second score, throwing a long pass out that winger Jack Guerreiro gathered to score in the corner.

But it was the Preseli Men who had the final word by passing the 50 point mark, as Davies went quickly from a penalty and popped a pass to replacement flanker Osian Davies, who duly crashed over. This time it was Thomas who added the simple extras - to round off a win that means Crymych need just nine points from their final five games to guarantee staying up.

Tenby meanwhile, also have work to do. They need six points from three games to climb above Penclawdd and secure their own spot in Division One West next season.

Crymych: Nick Bevan, Tomos Lewis, Jake Jenkins, Carwyn Phillips, Laurence Headlam, Gavin Thomas, Gareth Davies, Zac France-Miller, Lee Griffiths, Ryan Rees, Llyr Davies, Rhys Davies (capt), Aled Harries, Sion Collella, Guto Davies.

Replacements: Ifan James, Steffan Harries, Osian Davies, Dion Gibby, Tomos Phillips.

Tenby United: Yannick Parker, Moritz Neumann, Pat Roberts, Jack Guerrerio, Jordan Asparassa, Jonny Morgan, Mathew Morgan, Ethan Morgan, Joe Poole, Huw Evans, Luke Dedman, Jack Clancy, Andrew Cooke, Roy Osborne, Luke Hansford.

Replacements: Craig Barnett, Charlie Patching, Barry Parsons, Wes Bonser, Lyndon Jones.

Referee: Martyn Lewis.




There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos